Thursday 26 October 2017

Critical evaluation

I am the researcher for our project, as researcher I found contacts, locations, stories as well as information about the contacts and stories so we turned up to interviews well informed.

Pre-production

Our pre-production took a lot of time to get going, once we had decided that we were going to go with the homeless idea for a short time we had three stories on the go at once. I had to research and contact 3 separate groups of people (one for each story) as we were struggling to get responses back from people. 
I think over all this was a lack of communication and planning in our group, we didn't sit down together as a group enough, this led to me having to make google docs so everyone knew who had been contacted when and what (if any) response we had. This meant that other people in the group were left with nothing to do
In our pre-production we assigned roles to people based off of their strengths, this meant that as we were already comfortable in the roles we were doing there was no learning process that needed to happen.
Another strength we had was we were organised, between us we had multiple google docs with contacts and research links, a group chat we spoke in daily and met up with a least one other member of the group (when not in uni)  to catch up on what we had done.

Production

Our production went ok, I became ill for a week and had to sit out of filming the conference in the Marriott Hotel bearstead. 
This meant I didn't have an input into the footage that was filmed and therefore we ended up with 1 hour and 45 mins worth of GV for a conference that we couldn't get an interview for. 
This then meant that we had to book a last minuet interview with the Police commissioner, however the answers we got from him were really good.
When we went to film Dogs On The Street we weren't able to film any homeless people as they didn't want to be on camera. This resulted in us having to do a bit more last minuet filming to get shots of homeless people and their dogs. But the shots we got were good and we were able to use them in our edit.
Our anchor filming went really well, I had contacted Charlotte and given her the script before hand so she knew her lines off by heart, this meant we had quick filming and got everything we needed from her. 

Post production

Post production went good, I managed to finish the trailer for the show within a day after designing a logo to include in it. 
I set up our Youtube channel before we did anything with graphics I designed before we did any editing so that it could just be uploaded straight away.
Zak did our main edit and for someone who isn't very experienced in editing he did really well, with a few minor problems but we were able to help him as a group. However a last minuet editing issue has meant that some of our graphics had disappeared, this meant that we couldn't fix it in time for the deadline even with Ferg. We now have to show a lower resolution version of the film and while it doesn't look as good (text is difficult to read etc) we still have a final product.

Over all

Overall I think that we worked really well together, we were well organised and due to assigning roles to skill level we were able to come out with a good end product. 

Things to work on personally

I do think I did good research and was good at finding people and locations to interview at because it's something I really enjoy doing. I did like doing the graphics (logo design etc) as I'd never done it before and enjoyed the trust my group put in my skills.
  
Next time I'd like to try and work on my time management, I gave myself a lot of work research wise and wanted to help everyone with what they were doing which put me under more pressure making me ill. Next time I'd try and stick to what I have to do and when I don't have too much to do then help other members of my group. 

Things to work on as a group

As a group I think if we worked together again we'd have to work on our communication skills as shoots were being half planned by one member when the rest of the group was told nothing about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Production: Role research

To better understand my crew's roles and how I fit in with how they are working I did research into all four roles and what they do dur...