Thursday 18 May 2017

Documentaries: Final script-by Zak Wilkins


PIX
SYNC/COMM
PtC with Zak (MS)
Tie in with actuality
-with Victoria
-filming in studios
-skating
GVs
Sync Zak: I’m Zak Wilkins, a genderfluid, pansexual filmmaker. I came out as bisexual when I was 14 and then bouncing between identities for six years after as I struggled to find a label I felt appropriately described me
Sync Zak: I’d been aware I wasn’t straight for years and hoped sex ed might help clear up some of my confusion. Instead, I was taught about heterosexual sex, heterosexual relationships and heterosexual health risks. With no mention of sexuality or gender identity I used the internet to educate myself - leading to years of self loathing and confusion.
Sync Zak: It wasn’t until I was 20 that I truly felt comfortable with and confident in my identity but I’d always hoped that my school could have given me the information I needed to make this realisation sooner.
Title mixes on: ‘The Birds, The Bees and The Rainbows’
Actuality of Tommy and Holly
Comm Zak:  I went to go meet Tommy and Holly. Two friends who found their sexualities brought them closer together. I wanted to ask them how they thought people perceived bisexuals and what it was like for them to come out whilst at school.
Interview in vision
Tommy
Holly
Sync Tommy: Hi, I’m Tommy. I’m 16 and I’m bisexual.
Sync Holly: Hello my name is Holly. I’m 18 years old and I’m female and I identify as bisexual.
Sync Zak: When did you first realise that you’re not straight?
Sync Holly: one of my friends came out as gay and we were like wow that’s amazing and we all started to think oh what if I’m not straight which a lot of us turned out not to be um and we just kind of all found out I guess.
she kind off she came out and then that was kind of when we all started to think maybe we haven’t really thought about it before she came out so.
Sync Tommy: um I don’t know  definitely when I started secondary school I didn’t feel like I was completely straight because I would look at men and stuff on TV and be like that’s a weird feeling like what’s going on and then as I got older I was like ok I still like girls but I have the same feeling towards guys and it was very confusing until I met my group of friends like I’m still friends with all of them now and they were all very open and they all started coming out and I was like ok so it is a thing they are bisexual they all feel the same as me so that must be what I am and yeah it just kind of came from there.
Sync Zak: What was the LGBTQ+ representation like in your sex ed? Was there any discussion on LGBTQ+ issues?
Sync Holly: Not that I remember.
Sync Tommy: not until like late year ten but that’s like because there was more awareness around that time so and my school was big on diversity so we went to a bunch of assemblies just about gay people and relationships in that sense but before that it was just none existent.
Sync Zak: Was bullying much of a problem  at your school?
Sync Holly: Between me and my friends and all the girls that were in my year, it was all really positive. But a lot of my friends were Identified as gay or bisexual so we were all very open towards each other. My teachers never mentioned it or anything like that - there were rumours about some of my teachers being gay or bi and everyone was really accepting about that … nobody really minded.
Sync Tommy: When I first started secondary school it was because the old head teacher was really bad and didn’t really care. but then when the new head teacher came in brought this whole new diversity thing in and actually wanted to educate the children about these different matters, then it wasn’t as bad. But it was just silly thing like the bad people in the class they would be like that’s gay or just they would use that type of tone and if you are sitting there hearing these people talking about that teachers gay and like whatever is gay and your sitting there like well I’m gay or I think I’m gay so if they use that in a bad way does that mean it’s bad to be gay it’s just all very confusing.
GVs with on-screen text reading: “Two in five have attempted or thought about suicide.”
Comm Zak: The erasure of lgbt people in sex ed can be seriously damaging to young people struggling to identify. Two in five have attempted or thought about taking their own life directly because of bullying and the same number say that they deliberately self-harm directly because of bullying.
POV from inside car
Comm Zak: I also spoke to Darrell and Debbie, Tommy’s parents.
Actuality of Darrell unloading shed and Debbie washing up.
Comm Zak: I wanted to find out their opinion on their son's coming out and to ask what they thought sex ed should be teaching their children..
Interview in vision
Debbie
Darrell
Sync Zak: Would you feel able to answer questions about sexuality and gender from your children?
Sync Darrell: I would personally but I think that is your own personal attitude towards it. Um I know friends that would feel awkward talking about those type of things to their children - my children have accused me of being too open about certain stuff. Um, you don’t feel too comfortable about it do you?
Sync Debbie: No I was all right with Tommy when he came out. It was … I never thought it would be Tommy but it didn’t bother me. I wasn’t shocked, put it that way.
Sync Darrell: I think I was the one that surprised them because I think they though that I would have taken it completely different to the way that I did. But you know my attitude is at the end of the day I’m not going to alienate one of my own children because of their sexualty because bottom line my attitude is as long as your safe and happy then I don’t care.
Sync Zak: What’re your opinions on the idea of coming out, as bisexual especially, as a fashion statement or just another modern fad?
Sync Debbie: see I don’t understand that one. Why would coming out be a statement or a fashion? Its easier for the children to come out now than when we were in school. I never knew any one - I’ve got a cousin and a nephew that’s it but -
Sync Darrell: That’s what I’m trying to say - there is a difference between when Michael came out (who’s our nephew)? But he didn’t come out then, he went about it … to me he did it in the wrong way, that’s what I’m saying.
He came out then went completely comical camp which was like getting on every ones nerves ,you know what I mean? It was like he was trying to make a statement saying look at me I’m gay.
Sync Debbie: right but what I’m trying to say I think it’s easier for the kids to come out
Sync Darrell: but saying that I still think there is still a lot of stigma attached to it. Especially with our generation … look I only know from my own experiences and that the bottom line is, I know my son was dreading telling me based on conversations and comments  and everything over the years. I know any of mine would have absolutely cackled themselves to tell me right rather then tell Debbie. I’m just glad that mine had the front to tell me rather than me find out from someone else or something else … its easier being an alcoholic or a junky.  I’m being serious,  it was yes mum I was an alcoholic and I do heroin but not come out and say I’m gay.
Sync Zak: Why do you think that was?
Sync Darrell: again its progressive attitudes. .. And don’t forget it was illegal right up to the nineteen sixties, right? So we are sixties children, we were born in the sixties! Even if you look at our parents it was an illegal act it was against the law to be a homosexual.
Their attitudes were a hell of a lot different than today’s.
Sync Darrell: …and that’s what I’m saying you need to look at the generation differences. To our children and that generation, your generation, it’s as normal as being normal. There is no such thing as abnormal anymore I think that is better. I honestly do …
Sync Debbie: I’m pleased he can come up to us and say it to us.
GVs
Comm Zak: The government has recently announced a new sex ed curriculum, renamed Relationship AND SEX EDUCATION. The new guidelines aim to encourage diversity and discussions on sexuality. Also, with an abundant growth of celebrities recently coming out as bisexual, young bi people are getting relatable role models to look up to. I, personally, have high hopes that with better education and increased representation bisexuals and all members of the lgbt+ community will see a boom in acceptance and equality for years to come.
CREDITS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Production: Role research

To better understand my crew's roles and how I fit in with how they are working I did research into all four roles and what they do dur...