Saturday 9 December 2017

Oral history interview research

Oral History interview research

As part of my contextual research I listened to various oral histories and noted their use of sound in their interviews.

Interview with, Abrahams Ivor, National life stories: Artists' lives *1
Interview with, Adams Anna, National life story collection: Artists' lives *2
Interview with, Gay Bernard , National life story collection: Artists' lives *3
Interview with, Marshall Harold *4
Johnston, Laurence National Life Story Collection: Lives in Steel *5
These interviews all use a single microphone per person
CDs loaned to me by member of group (unable to link)
These interviews are grouped and have one microphone per 6

Use of Atmos in recording?

For atmos research I went to the Chatham Dockyards to the "Ship beneath the floor" exhibit. 
The extract of Equiano's diary being read out whilst have waves in the background were really effective in putting the listening into the readers shoes. It was good at creating atmosphere and added drama to the extract. 

This is something that I'd like to include in my project as it will hopefully provide the similar effect of atmosphere that the "Ship beneath the floor has".

What did I learn?

From these interviews I learnt the importance of open questions, by having open questions the interviewee can expand with greater detail on their answers.
I also got an appreciation for the clear audio, in comparison to the CDs I was loaned where audio was disrupted by doors and children crying. It highlighted the need for a clear and audible recording. It also showed the difference between having the microphone focused on one person, where you are actually able to hear the thoughts and opinions of one person compared to a group, where everyone one is talking at once.

How did I use this?

I used this research during the production, I made sure we interviewed one person at a time and used clip mics for a closer audio recording.
The pro in doing this is if they are a quiet speaker then they won't be lost when talking to a microphone a foot away from them compared to one clipped onto them. The con is it's easier for the audio to peak and clip mics can be easily brushed by arms and hair.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

*1-Abrahams Ivor, National life stories: Artists' lives 1/7 -sounds.bl.uk/Oral-history/Art/021M-C0466X0121XX-0001V0
*2-Adams Anna, National life story collection: Artists' lives -sounds.bl.uk/Oral-history/Art/021M-C0466X0257XX-0001V0
*3-Gay Bernard, National life story collection: Artists' lives-sounds.bl.uk/Oral-history/Art/021M-C0466X0057XX-0100V0
*4- Marshall, Harold  National Life Story Collection: Lives in Steel
*5- Johnston, Laurence National Life Story Collection: Lives in Steel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Production: Role research

To better understand my crew's roles and how I fit in with how they are working I did research into all four roles and what they do dur...