Saturday 28 January 2017

Directions unit: Character development/mood boards

Character mood boards


For my adaption of 'Alice in Wonderland' I wanted to contrast Tim Burton's (T.B) bright and colourful Underland with a darker potentially more industrial steam punk aesthetic. 
I've also chosen to go in this direction as the steam punk look is commonly associated with Victorians connoting the 4 characters specifically the Mad Hatter is stuck in a different time.


Mad Hatter (Tarrent)
For the Mad Hatter (Tarrent) I'm going to focus more on the iconic top hat pocket watch. As the T.B Tarrent was as a Hatter by trade he has pins and fabric attached to his hat. 
Because of the steam punk choice I've substituted pins and thread for goggles, these are common trade marks of the look and help establish that Tarrent thinks he is in a different time.


March Hare
For the March-Hare I decided to make them ex-military, they'll therefore have a military jacket and the character them self although eccentric will have a sense of discipline from the army about them such as sitting up straight etc. The character would ideally have grey facial hair giving them the unkept look of a mad old man.

Mally
For Mally's character I wanted to try and show her personality through her clothes. In the T.B adaption Mally is an adventurous and feisty girl, she is one of the boys. 
I wanted to try show this through her costume having her in trousers, lots of pockets and practical clothes. Because the Mad Hatter is Mally's best friend I decided to have her in goggles too however feminise them slightly by having them as sunglasses instead of goggles, this also denotes her adventurous spirit. 

Chesire
For Chesire cat I wanted a scruffy appearance. The character is in their dressing gown as they really bother to get dressed for anything, they don't shave often and they're detached from the world. They'll speak slowly and thoughtfully and wear sombre colour palettes such as greys and blues.





Alice
For Alice I decided to not have her in what is perceived typical steampunk clothes, detaching her from the Mad Hatter and his friends. Alice's character will be in primarily black and white aside from a blue cardigan, this being because of the blue dress that the original Alice iconically wears. She'll have the fingerless gloves that T.B's Alice wears however they'll be black to fit with the darker aesthetic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Production: Role research

To better understand my crew's roles and how I fit in with how they are working I did research into all four roles and what they do dur...